Practical ways to prepare yourself for a career in testing
Few points given below are adequate to provide seed thoughts or tips to get you started on the way to a career in software testing.
Tips for starting a career in testing:
- Pursue your line of study & strive to acquire maximum IT exposure in your field of study.
- Other testers can be of great help in your endeavor. Have discussions with other testers and you can get fairly good idea about their jobs in terms of both technically as well as from the job satisfaction point of view.
- Keep yourself abreast with latest knowledge by regular reading of books, magazines, and articles related to testing.
- Research the Internet and try to grab & learn a new testing topic every month
- Try to get on-the-job experience by working with other testers.
- Persuade your managers to let you assist
with tackling a testing job in the company
Development of recommended skills and personal characteristics for software testing career
For an all-purpose tester following attributes need to be developed & cultivated for starting a carrier in software testing.
- Knowledge of mathematics: They may need to prepare tests for equations needing knowledge of mathematics.
- Programming skills and computer architectural and design element knowledge.
- Industry and product specific knowledge
- Learn to be good team players, and be able to exhibit good interpersonal skills.
For example they must be able to report defects to developers without making them feel down on the one hand, and yet must correctly gauge defect importance and ensure that the developers will attend to important defects.
Concludingly, we can say that whichever way you may look at, the software testing is an upcoming, challenging and exciting career with long term-prospects.
An expert on R&D, Online Training and Publishing. He is M.Tech. (Honours) and is a part of the STG team since inception.