Dr. W Edwards Deming: Dr. Deming continues to be widely revered in Japan for awakening the Japanese to the need for, and the possibilities in, a focus on quality. That included defining a quality product, and then reducing process variability to the point at which that product could be delivered to the customer in a timely and economical manner.
Famous 14 points advocated by Deming on Quality
1) Create constancy of purpose.
2) Adopt the new philosophy.
3) Cease dependence on mass inspection to achieve quality.
4) Minimize total cost, not initial price of supplies.
5) Improve constantly the system of production and service.
6) Institute training on the job.
7) Institute leadership.
8) Drive out fear.
9) Break down barriers between departments.
10) Eliminate slogans, exhortations, and numerical targets.
11) Eliminate work standards (quotas) and management by objective.
12) Remove barriers that rob workers, engineers, and managers of their right to pride of workmanship.
13) Institute a vigorous program of education and self-improvement.
14) Put everyone in the company to work to accomplish the transformation
References: Wikipedia � Free Encyclopedia
Many More Articles on Quality Perspectives