On the contrary, Automated testing is having many benefits.
Automated testing is the process of automating the manual testing process. We use automated testing to substitute or provide a supplement to manual testing with the use of a comprehensive suite of testing tools. Automated testing tools assist software testers to evaluate the quality of the software by automating the mechanical aspects of the software testing task. The benefits of automation are better software quality, lesser time for marketing, repeatability of testing procedures & reduced cost of testing. We shall now list some more benefits of test automation. They are given below
1) Automated execution of test cases is faster than manual execution. This saves time. This time can also be utilized to develop additional test cases, thereby improving the coverage of testing.
2) Test automation can free test engineers from mundane tasks and make them focus on more creative tasks.
3) Automated tests can be more reliable. This is because manually running the tests may result in boredom and fatigue, more chances of human error. While automated testing overcomes all these shortcomings.
4) Automation helps in immediate testing, as it need not wait for the availability of test engineers. In fact,
Automation = Lesser Person Dependence
5) Test cases for certain types of testing such as reliability testing, stress testing, load and performance testing cannot be executed without automation. For example, if we want to study the behavior of a system with millions of users logged in, there is no way one can perform these tests without using automated tools.
6) Manual testing requires the presence of test engineers but automated tests can be made to run round the clock, (24 x 7) environment. So, automated testing provides round the clock coverage.
7) Tests, once automated, take comparatively far less resources to execute. A manual test suite requiring 10 persons to execute it over 31 days i.e., 31 x 10 = 310 man days, may take just 10 man-days for execution, if automated. Thus, a ratio of 1 : 31 is achieved.
8) Automation produces a repository of different tests, which helps us to train test engineers to increase their knowledge.
9) Automation does not end with developing programs for the test cases. Automation includes many other activities like selecting the right product build, generating the right test data, and analyzing results and so on.
Automation should have scripts that produce test data to maximize coverage of permutations and combinations of input and expected output for result comparison. They are called as test data generators.
It is important for automation to relinquish the control back to test engineers in situations where further sets of actions to be taken are not known.
As the objective of testing is to catch defects early, the automated tests can be given to developers so that they can execute them as part of unit testing.