Discover the Power of LoadRunner for Performance Testing
to “Software Testing Genius”.
Subscribe to my
RSS feed for
latest content on Software
Download Link for your Favorite E-Book is at the End of this Page
Prior to understanding the LoadRunner as a performance-testing tool, let us understand a few basics of the Performance Testing as such. Performance Testing is the process of testing and fine tuning the software application in line with the intent of realizing the desired performance.
Performance Testing is a part of Performance Engineering Domain. It covers commonly referred term load or spike or stress testing and validating the system performance.
Usually there are Three main Categories of Performance like:
Speed - Is an indicator as to whether the application responds quickly enough when handled by desired number of users
size=2> - Is an indicator as to whether the application is capable to handle the load of expected number of users and can go beyond as well or not.
Stability - Is an indicator as to whether the application is stable enough under the expected and unexpected users load.
Should we automate the Process of Performance Testing?
A scientifically designed Performance Test Process answers following issues:
- Does the application responds quickly enough when handled by desired number of users.
- Whether the application capable to handle the load of expected number of users and can go beyond.
- Whether the application capable to handle the number of transactions required by the business.
- Whether the application Is stable under expected and unexpected user loads.
By automating the performance testing we can quantify the impact of a change in business terms. This helps in understanding the likely risks of deployment. An effective automated performance testing process helps in making more informed release decisions, and prevents system downtime and availability problems.
Various Elements of LoadRunner are as under:
- Virtual User Generator captures the end-user business processes and creates an automated performance testing script which is known as a virtual user script.
- Controller organizes, drives, manages and monitors the load test.
- Load Generators creates load by running various virtual users.
- The Analysis helps in viewing, dissecting and comparing the performance results.
- Launcher provides a single point access to all components of the LoadRunner.
Key Terminology of LoadRunner:
Scenario is a file which defines the events taking place during every testing session, based on the performance requirements.
In a typical scenario, the LoadRunner simulates human users with virtual users which are called Vusers. Vusers emulate the actions of human users working with the application. A scenario is a large repository, which can contain tens, hundreds, or even thousands of Vusers.
The actions which a Vuser performs during the scenario are described in the Vuser script. We need to define transactions to measure the performance of the server. A transaction represents the end-user business processes which are desired to be measured.
Process of Load Testing: Load testing typically consists of following five phases:
1) Planning of Load Test: Involves defining the Performance Testing requirements Like How many number of concurrent users will be deployed, What shall be the typical business processes and what should be the desired response times for the application.
2) Creation of Vuser Scripts: Involves capturing various activities of the end-user into the automated scripts.
3) Defining a Scenario: Involves the use of LoadRunner Controller to set up the load test environment.
4) Running a Scenario: Involves driving, managing and monitoring the load test from the LoadRunner Controller.
5) Analyzing the Results: involves using the LoadRunner Analysis feature to create various graphs and reports and evaluate the performance.
Many More Articles on HP LoadRunner
Study Material - HP LoadRunner Certification Exams for All Modules
Rehearsal of LoadRunner in 1 Hr. - Interview Questions
Download Full Study Material - HP QTP & QC Certification Exams
What Successful Testers say about the Quality of this website
If you want to keep track of further articles on Software Testing, .
I suggest you to subscribe my RSS feed
You can also Subscribe by E-mail and get All New articles delivered directly to your Inbox.
Quick Navigation of Software Testing Genius
Get your Absolutely Free Copy of Several MS PowerPoint Presentations & E-Books related to ISTQB, HP Load Runner, IBM RFT, HP QTP & QC Certification Exams, prepared by Popular Writers & Trainers, by writing to: Software.firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Study Material for International Certification Exams:
Largest Database of Sample Papers - 1000+ Unique Questions for ISTQB Foundation Exam
ISTQB Foundation Exam - Full Crash Course for Download
ISTQB Advanced CTAL Test Analysts Exam - Full Crash Course for Download
ISTQB Advanced CTAL Test Manager Exam - Full Crash Course for Download
Consolidated Study Material - All ISTQB Certification Exams
Practical Roadmap to CSTE Certification
Study Material to prepare for other Automation Tools & QA:
Practical Roadmap to QTP Certification
Study Material - IBM RFT Certification Exam
Consolidated Study Material - Testing & QA
Rehearsal of QTP in 1 Hr. - Interview Questions
DownLoad Link for E-Book:
Using IBM RFT to Automate Testing of Globalized Applications - By Komal Mirchandani & Shruti Ujjwal (1.02 Mb)